[MEGATHREAD] Beta 1 Lab 1 Feedback

We launched our first lab a few hours ago.

Tens of us tried it and now is the time to tell us how did we do :slight_smile:

Try to answer the questions below as much comprehensively as you’d like. We, at rootsh3ll, lOOOVE to read long descriptive posts from you!

Questions

1. How was the latency for you. Both GUI and Terminal
  2. Did the Labs load in time? Consider login time, lab details response time.
  3. How long did you take to crack the WPA2 key? mind sharing a screenshot of “Verify Flag” section confirmation.
  4. How much would you rate this lab for difficulty, on a scale of 1-10. Considering it was targeted towards absolute WiFi beginners.
  5. Would you like an extended version of this lab next? Like network vulnerability scanning and exploiting the client rootsh3ll Labs’ network?
  6. What’s your suggestions of improvement to the WiFi lab?

Starting off with @mcruz and @sarange who managed to crack the key within 15 minutes of starting the lab.

Congratulations to both of you. As a reward for your valuable feedback and performance I’d like to reward you a custom title on Forums. Like the one I have under my name: “co-founder”, and students have “beta user”.
Let us know what you want your title to be :slight_smile:

:warning: NOTE: Make sure not to reveal actual WPA2 key in the response. Rather use “Verify Flags” tab’s s screenshot to confirm your lab completion.

Thanks a lot to everyone who took their time in trying our offering and helping us even furtheer by providing valuable feedback. This is umatchable. Thank you all for your time and interest in us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot right now i’m working in my writeup about how i cracked the network key.

The latency to me was great noting that i’m in the US.
It took me 15 minutes to crack the network key.
I would rate this lab as difficulty 1.
I’d be great to have an extended version of the lab.

Here’s my verify flag picture:

2 Likes

Thanks for hopping in Michael!

As a reward, what user_title you’d like to see on your account? replacing the current one “beta user” after your username.

What levels do you have available?, i mean the ranks:

1 - Noob
2- Student
3- Hacker
4- Elite
5- Guru

Etc. I’m an elite hacker at “hackthebox” i would like to use that one here if i can, thanks.

1 Like

There you go!

Michel “elite” Sanchez. :sunglasses:

Thanks a lot i’m almost done with the writeup then i’m going to send it to you, keep up the great work with this labs.

1 Like

Thanks but i’d be “elite hacker” :rofl:, but that’s fine.

Hi everyone,

Here is my take:

1. The latency on the GUI was pretty good for a non-US user and the terminal was really responsive
  2. The login time was minimal, starting the container took around 2-3 minutes the first time. When I stopped it and restarted it and it was almost instantaneous.
  3. It took me around 10-15 minutes, here is the screenshot

1. Maybe a 2-3/10 difficulty
  2. That would be really cool!
  3. Nothing comes to mind at the time
    As of the user_title, I’d like you to improvise! :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

haha… sorry, my bad. Fixed it. :wink:

Thanks Hardeep, this labs are going to be great you will see.

1 Like

Thanks again @sarange! You are awesome.

For the user_title, just let me know anytime you want to redeem your reward :wink:

I see the icon is a bit broken in your version. i can’t replicate the Ui bug on my end under Chrome and Safari. Looking at @mcruz’s screenshot it appears to be Firefox on Linux. To me, all the browsers are displaying the icon properly aligned. What browser version are you using? I might need to push a fix for that.

1 Like

Can’t do it without help from people like you :slight_smile: Thanks for the support and time you took writing the report. This means a lot and helps us keep our vision aligned.

2 Likes

Nice one. It did take me some time to get used with the new environment.
It wasnt my laptop that I was playing with

This is my completion of the lab

1 Like

Awesome! well done @petre.mihai

Welcome to the community too! :tada:

Would you consider the browser-based lab experience over a VPN-connected lab?

One use-case I usually get is the office-assigned laptop. it gives limited access, is monitored all the time and you can’t install new software on it. But you want to learn too.

Have you been in such a situation lately ?

I’m using the latest version of Firefox on Arch with i3. Maybe my qt5 is messing with the alignment, so if you can’t reproduce it in a similar environment, it’s not a bug, something in my config is messed up.

Edit: I am the master of edits, I have edited every comment I made :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Quite possibly. Thanks for the heads up brother! I’ll see if this can be fixed though :smiley:

1 Like
  1. No noticeable GUI or Terminal latency for me in USA.
  2. Yes, the Lab loaded quickly. 2-3 minutes for me.
  3. The entire process took me 20-30 minutes. It was my first attempt at wifi cracking, but I have watched a pluralsight course on the topic.
  4. The lab was not difficult, but it was fun! 2/10 difficulty.
  5. Yes!
  6. Maybe a hint or tips button for beginners that can reveal the next steps if someone gets stuck.

Here is my Verify image:

1 Like

I didn’t notice any latency on either. I only used the Terminal for the actual lab, but messed around with the gui a very little bit

1. Did the Labs load in time? Consider login time, lab details response time.

I think it was reasonable.
Given that we each get our own environment, my tolerance for “lab loading time” is higher. I didn’t think it was all that bad

1. How long did you take to crack the WPA2 key? mind sharing a screenshot of “Verify Flag” section confirmation.

I’d say about 5 minutes of actual hacking, but 10 minutes overall with the lab setup + familiarising myself with the lab environment and whatnot.

1. How much would you rate this lab for difficulty, on a scale of 1-10. Considering it was targeted towards absolute WiFi beginners.

I’d say its around a 1-2. I think its a great tutorial for beginners!

1. Would you like an extended version of this lab next? Like network vulnerability scanning and exploiting the client rootsh3ll Labs’ network?

Definitely! That’d be sweet (and realistic) if WiFi hacking was the initial access vector to a deeper lab!

1. What’s your suggestions of improvement to the WiFi lab?
  • You might want to include resources for beginners. This could range from starting phrases you can google, a reference to the page/section/chapter/etc. in your book, or a even full-on walkthrough
  • Additionally, it might be cool to allow you to add your own writeup and see other users’ write-ups after you solve the challenge
  • You might want to install more tools on the machine by default. Some people prefer using bettercap, others might want tmux, etc.
  • It’d also be cool to see on the forum who has done what labs
  • As far as connectivity to the lab environment goes, I like the web based environment. I’m not a fan of VPN environments since I don’t wanna connect to a VPN to access the machines. One option you could do is allowing users to add a public ssh key and opening up ssh access to the machines; I’m not sure if thats honestly worth the effort though

Overall, it was a great lab; I had fun and I’m glad I got to do it!

1 Like

Ok ill give you my input from a noob

I am using my phone as a hotspot, so generally it was pretty bad. i will have to try again when i get home

1. Did the Labs load in time? Consider login time, lab details response time.

The labs loaded between 2-3 minutes, it was really quick. maybe put a popup or alert to say its loaded as i was focused on something else and didnt realise the button changed to Play

1. How long did you take to crack the WPA2 key? mind sharing a screenshot of “Verify Flag” section confirmation.

The actually cracking part didnt take long at all. the problem was trying to figure out how to do it. luckily i kept notes from the udemy course i am doing, but if a complete noob wanted to try this, they would be loss as there is no direction. no suggesiton what tools/ commands to use. id say all up it took me maybe 20-30 minutes to do this lab

1. How much would you rate this lab for difficulty, on a scale of 1-10. Considering it was targeted towards absolute WiFi beginners.

if this was targeted to beginners, id reate this at a 4-5. im just lucky i had my notes from another course. If you want this aimed at complete beginners, more direction is need. Even something lilke OverTheWire, where they have a list of commands on the mission breifing. suure you dont need all the commands, but atleast it gives the user some idea of what to look for.

1. Would you like an extended version of this lab next? Like network vulnerability scanning and exploiting the client rootsh3ll Labs’ network?

As a noob, im scared to think what might come next… hahahaha

1. What’s your suggestions of improvement to the WiFi lab? A little user direction for complete beginners… maybe suggested commands etc for the user to research

1 Like

There was barely any latency at all, for both. It was great.

The labs loaded quite quickly.

It took me about 3-4 minutes to crack the key, but since the instructions were confusing, I took about 10 minutes.

I would rate this a 3 if targeted towards beginners due to the instructions being confusing.

Definitely!

Remove the automatic logout. I had to eat dinner, and when I came back, my work was gone and I had to restart the machine. Maybe add a “Renew” Button on the dashboard so you don’t lose data?

1 Like